Latkes My WayFrom lor 5 years ago
- 5-6 medium - large sized potatoes, grated shopping list
- Note: I prefer Yukon Gold shopping list
- 2 onions, thinly sliced or grated shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1-2 large eggs shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups of vegetable or sunflower oil for frying shopping list
- Garnish with grated nutmeg if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Using a box grater or food processor, grate peeled potatoes.
- Place grated potatoes on several sheets of paper towel and press down to remove all moisture.
- Thinly slice/grate onion.
- Whisk eggs and add to onions, garlic and potatoes.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, parsley, salt and pepper and blend evenly.
- If you feel the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon or 2 of milk.
- Pour enough oil into a large deep frying pan to measure 1-1/2 to 2 inches and place over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, form potato mixture into pancake type shapes with hands.
- Carefully place latkes into oil and cook for at least 5-6 minutes per side.
- Do not over-crowd the frying pan.
- When the latkes are cooked, remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel or a cookie rack to drain.
- Have either a separate plate or a cookie sheet handy to place latkes on and keep warm in a 325 degree oven until ready to serve.
- Condiments are sour cream and applesauce.