New York Style CheesecakeFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 1 sleeve of graham crackers (I used cinnamon storebrand) shopping list
- 6 tbsp of butter, melted shopping list
- 2 tbsp of sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 lbs. (5 packages) of cream cheese, softened to room temp. shopping list
- 1/8 tsp of salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 teaspoonf of fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup of sour cream shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 2 egg yolks shopping list
How to make it
- Cover the outside of a nine inch spring form pan with heavy duty foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely crush the sleeve of graham crackers.
- I used a rolling pin and resealable bag method, or you can use a food processor.
- Mix with the sugar and 5 1/2 tbsp of the butter with a fork until crumbly. (reserve the remaining butter for brushing the springform pan)
- Press the crumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan, bake for 13 minutes, remove to rack to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Brush sides of spring form pan with remaining melted butter generously after the crust has cooled.
- (Cook's Illustrated used a stand mixer with paddle attachment; I have a portable mixer, so I used it)
- Turn oven up to 500 degrees
- In a large bowl, Beat the cream cheese for about 2 minutes, to get out most of the big lumps with the salt, add the sugar in thirds, beat after each addition. Scrape down the sides. About one minute each addition.
- Add the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the eggs two at a time, beating well after each addition, including the two extra egg yolks.
- Pour into cooled crust and place on a lipped baking sheet in case there is spillover.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 degrees.
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. DO NOT OVERBAKE
- Bake 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool for five minutes on wire rack.
- Run knife around the outer edge of the cake.
- Allow to cool for 3 hours at room temp. MOST IMPORTANT so it won't crack.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Best served 30 minutes out of the refrigerator.
People Who Like This Dish 27
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating12 people
I love New York Cheesecake. great recipepeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
One of the best cheesecake ever.I will make a cherry sauce for topping :)ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
I have been making the New York Cheesecake from America's Test Kitchen (the people that publish "Cook's Illustrated" magazine and published "Baking Illustrated", a step-by-step baking book) for a few years now and it comes out perfectly EVERY time. ...morebestcooker in loved it