Irish Plum PuddingFrom misslionheart 7 years ago
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange shopping list
- I large apple, grated finely shopping list
- 1 cups sultanas shopping list
- 1 cups raisins shopping list
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped or flaked almonds shopping list
- 1 heaped tablespoon chopped cherries shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed peel shopping list
- ½ cup brown sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons whiskey shopping list
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1 cup self raising flour shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten together shopping list
- ½ teaspoon salt shopping list
- 4 oz (1 stick) butter shopping list
How to make it
- Mix together all the ingredients above, down to and including, the whiskey, in a large bowl. Cover and leave for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Stir the breadcrumbs through the fruit mix. Using an electric blender, mix the flour, eggs,salt and butter together. Add to the fruit mix and stir well. If the mixture seems a little dry add a dessertspoon or two of milk.
- Put the mixture into a bowl and cover tightly using the lid or a cover made from several layers of greaseproof or waxed paper held in place with string.
- Place the bowl in a saucepan of water, with the water coming about 2/3rds up the side of the pudding bowl. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a bare simmer. Cover the saucepan with a well fitted lid. Simmer like this for about 6 hours. You will probably need to top the water up now and then - keep an eye on it.
- The cooked pudding will keep for months. When it is needed, steam it again for about 2 hours in the bowl, or turn out of the bowl and reheat in the microwave oven for about 5-10 mins.
- Serve with sherry or brandy sauce or fresh cream.