soft chewy molasses spice cookiesFrom robertg 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. each,ground cinnamon & ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. each,allspice , black pepper & salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg yoke shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup molasses-mild if you want a milder tasting cookie or(my choise) full flavor shopping list
- > shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar for dipping. shopping list
How to make it
- adjust oven rack to middle position. pre heat oven to 375*F. line 2 baking sheets with parchment papper. place 1/2 cup of sugar for dipping in a 8"-9" cake pan.
- whisk flour,baking soda,spices and salt in a medium bowl,set aside
- in a standing mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter with white and brown sugars at medium speed, until light and fluffy(about 3 minutes) reduce speed to medium-low and add vannila and egg yoke,increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated(about 20 seconds)reduce speed to medium-low and add molasses,beat till fully incorporated(about 30 seconds)scrape down sides of bowl.reduce speed to lowest setting and add flour and beat until just incorporated,scraoe down sides of bowl and give a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure their are no flour pockets.dough will be soft.
- using a tablespoon,scoop a heaping measure od dough and roll in hands to form a 1 1/2" ball,drop ball in cake pan,repeat to form 4 balls.toss in sugar to coat and set on prepared sheet.placing them 2" apart.repeat with rest of dough.
- bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft(cookies will look raw between cracks on the top and look under done)
- about 11 minutes,rotate sheet about half way thrugh baking.DON'T OVER COOK. cool 5 minutes on sheet then , using a wide spatula , place on wire rack to finish cooling
- cookies with dark rum glaze;
- let cookies cool to room
- while waiting whisk 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 -3 Tbs dark rum in a small bowl until smooth, dip a spoon in mixture and drizzle over cookies. let dry for 19-15 minutes
- cookies with orange essence;
- in a work bowl of a food processor,pracess 2/3 cup of granulated sugar and 2 tsp. orange zest until plae orange hue. (about 10 seconds) use in place of plain sugar for dipping. add 1 tsp. orange zest along with butter and molasses in recipe.will have a unique frosty look when baked.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookrobertg MO
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!