SALTYMIKES BEST BANANA PUDDINGFrom saltymike 8 years ago
How to make it
- Make a plain pudding as follows:
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk.
- Cook uncovered over boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread small amount of pudding on bottom of deep serving bowl
- Cover with a layer of vanilla wafers and a layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about more pudding over bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas and pudding to fill bowl.
- Make a meringue topping as follows:
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining ¼ cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Spoon the meringue on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges. Make peaks in the meringue.
- Bake at 350 in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until peaks of meringue are browned.
- Serve cold and prepare to defend your kitchen against Banana Pudding lovers like me!
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating7 people
This is one of my oldest recipes (my momma made this one)... soooooooo good, thank you for posting... are you sure we're not related??? lolshirleyoma in Cove loved it
Oh yeah, I think I'll be making some of this for dessert on Sunday. I haven't made any for awhile. Thanks for a great post. :)coffeebean53 in Charlotte loved it
My husband agrees with you on banana pudding! Now, banana pudding will put things in perspective, and will provide comfort like a soft blanket! Same recipe that I use, and I actually have made it quickly in the microwave! Delicious!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it