Tomato Soup With Pasta And BasilFrom nyfoodie 6 years ago
- 3 Very large ripe tomatoes (1 1/2 lb) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion finely chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 Sm red pepper finely chopped shopping list
- 4 C chicken stock or vegetable stock if making Vegetarian shopping list
- 1/4 C (2oz) tomato paste or tomato puree shopping list
- 1 Tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/4 C fresh basil leaves shopping list
- 1 C Small pasta shells shopping list
How to make it
- Score a small cross in the top of each tomato. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then into cold water. Peel the skin down from the cross and discard. Remove the seeds and roughly chop the tomatoes. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and cook the onion, garlic and red pepper, stiring for 10 mnutes or until soft. Add the tomato and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, sugar and salt & pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the basil leaves. Allow to cool slightly, process in batches, in food processor or blender until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan and reheat gently.
- While the soup is cooking, add the pasta to a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Drain, aad to the soup and heat through.
- Garnish with basil leaves
The Cooknyfoodie Bronx, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!