Sweet Potato CasseroleFrom saltymike 8 years ago
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes (barn cured are best) shopping list
- 2 sticks + 1 Tbsp butter (lightly salted is OK) shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 4 Tbsp light brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- ½ - 1 tsp lime juice (to taste) shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 package marshmallows shopping list
How to make it
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake in oven at 350 for 1 hour or until soft through out.
- Remove foil and allow sweet potatoes to cool just enough to handle. Remove and dispose of skins.
- Place sweet potato flesh in a large mixing bowl along with two sticks butter, beaten egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly to a paste (similar to peanut butter.)
- Coat a large casserole dish with 1 tbsp butter and spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the dish.
- Bake in oven at 350 for approx. 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes to completely cover.
- Return to oven and bake until marshmallows just begin to toast on top.
- Serve hot.
- Note: To save time and effort, use drained canned sweet potatoes!