Sausage and Lentil SoupFrom gnoeou 9 years ago
- 1 carrot shopping list
- 2 Stalks of celery shopping list
- 1 white onion shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1lb of hot italian sausage shopping list
- 8 cups of vegetable broth shopping list
- 2 (14.5 oz) Cans of whole tomatoes shopping list
- 2 cups of dried lentils shopping list
- 1 tsp of salt shopping list
- 3/4 tsp of black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/2 tsp oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, heat one tablespoon of oil. Add one carrot - diced, two stalks of celery- diced, one large onion- chopped and two cloves of crushed garlic. Saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and and add one pound of hot Italian sausage, removed from the casing, to the pan. Brown the drain off fat.
- In a large stockpot, place eight cups of chicken broth, the sauteed vegetables and the sausage meat. Open two cans of whole tomatoes, break them up by squeezing them with your hands and add to the soup along with the juice. Add two cups of dried lentils which have been washed according to package directions.
- Season with one teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds and one bay leaf.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, 45-60 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree it using an hand-held blender, then return it to the pot.
- Correct seasonings and remove bay leaf.
The Cookgnoeou Olmsted Township, OH
The Rating4 people
Joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Sounds delicious! Love the Italian sausage and fennel seeds here!juels in Clayton loved it
Nice peppy flavor. Used mild sausage and half the amount of red pepper flakes. It was plenty hot for me. It would be a non-starter if it was any spicier. But that's just me.pointsevenout in Athens loved it