Asparagus Artichoke And Shitake RisottoFrom wolfpackjack 9 years ago
- 5 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 lb thin to medium aspargus, trim and cut 1/4 inch slice, tips - 1-1/4 inch shopping list
- 3/4 lb fresh shitake mushrooms, discard stem, slice cap - 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 2 large fresh artichoke hearts shopping list
- 2 shallots, finely chopped shopping list
- 3/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 Tbsp EVOO shopping list
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio (Italian) rice shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Artichokes: Remove all the outer leaves, choke, and stem of a whole artichoke. Cut heart into 1/4 slices and immediately place in a bowl with juice of 1 lemon, completely coating the artichoke slices to prevent browning. In a small pot, pour 1/4 cup white wine, 2 smashed garlic cloves, bay leaf, 1-1/2 cups water, & 1 Tbsp/splash white vinegar, and bring to a boil. Add the artichoke hearts with the lemon juice, reduce heat and let simmer for ~ 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a 4 quart pot, bring broth and water to a boil, add the asparagus and cook uncovered ~3 to 4 minutes until crisp-tender. Transfer to bowl of iced water with a slotted spoon to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry.
- Keep broth at a very slow simmer, covered.
- In a heavy 4 quart saucepan, heat oil with 1 Tbsp of butter over med-high heat until foam subsides. Add mushrooms and saute until browned, ~ 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl.
- Cook shallotes in 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium to med-low heat until tender, ~3 minutes. Add rice, stirring and cook for ~1 minute. Add 1/2 cup white wine, cook while stirring until absorbed, ~1 minute.
- Now add 1 cup of the simmering broth to the rice and cook at a strong simmer while stirring until absorbed, ~ 2 minutes. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Let the broth be absorbed before making each addition and cook until rice is barely tender and looks creamy, ~ 20 minutes. Reserve leftover broth for thinning later.
- Remove from heat, stir 1/2 cup of cheese, remaining butter, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently stir in asparagus, artichokes, and mushrooms. Cover pan and let set for ~ 1 minute. If needed thin rice with some of the leftover broth.
- Serve Immediately and garnish as desired with remaining cheese.