My Moms Rouladen Beef RollFrom berenzvideodotcom 6 years ago
How to make it
- The meat should be cut into 4 to 6 thinly sliced portions in a sort of rectangular shape
- Pound each with mallet or edge of plate until quite thin and all tissues have been broken down.
- Place bacon, pickle wedges, onion, mustard over each.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roll up
- Secure with string, tying up the ends to keep the filling in during cooking
- Saute in hot fat or oil until well browned on all sides
- Add broth or water
- Cover and simmer until done. (Meat should be very tender) about 1.5 hrs.
- GRAVEY (my mom's)
- Make a roux
- Add some remaining liquid and buttermilk to make the gravey. Make sure to use buttermilk for an interesting gravey that goes well with the tastes in this dish
- I like to serve this with a sweet and sour red cabbage and sauerkraut.
- The sauerkraut should have a little sweetness to it and some well browned diced bacon and some of the bacon grease. Not to much grease. Simmered till quite tender, and a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese in the kraut. Really.
The Cookberenzvideodotcom Milwaukee, WI
The Rating7 people
I've eaten Rouladen many times and really love it, but I've never made one. I'm saving your recipe to do just that. Love your photos...great post. Thanks so much, Peter! =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
I made this yesterday and tripled the recipe for company - after browning well in Dutch oven, added broth and finished covered in the oven for 1.5 hours at 325 F, then made the gravy on the stovetop. Served, as suggested, with Sweet and Sour Cabbage...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
ohh, Peter, you and your Mom sure know how to make rouladen - my father was really good at it, too and i make them from time to time when asked by my son - the gravy (as you know) is best if you have LOTS of rouladen. i serve it with red cabbage, too...morekochhexe in Butzbach loved it