Backwards Grilled Shrimp ScampiFrom divaliscious 7 years ago
- Extra large or jumbo shrimp Cleaned but with Shells still on. You can get the cleaned (with backs slit and shells still on in your freezer seafood section of your grocery store) And here, size DOES count - lol, but it does and the shells count too - as they protect your shrimp to keep its juices while grilling. shopping list
- 3 shrimp per person for appetizers or more for main meal- it's easy to have five of these while sitting outside having a beer, I assure you! shopping list
- Be forewarned! They are that good and that addicting! Make more than you think you might need - they are great reheated the next day should your family dare leave any behind! shopping list
- 3 or more garlic cloves minced shopping list
- juice and zest of one lemon or more as needed if making lots of these. shopping list
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted or at room temperature) shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 2 shakes of red hot chili peppers shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro or sliced chives/scallions(optional) shopping list
- Equipment Needed: Super hot grill or inside grill pan, broiler ok too but watch carefully while cooking then! and 2 bowls. shopping list
How to make it
- In one bowl, placed thawed cleaned with shells still on shrimp and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add one shake of red chili flakes and add good amount of salt and pepper.
- Stir contents of bowl and set aside.
- Turn on grill and let preheat for 5 minutes at least - you want that baby super hot!
- Take shrimp and carefully place on your grill. You will want to cook the shrimp almost completely through on one side, allowing for the shell to have grill marks on them.
- Total cooking time may only take about 6-8 minutes depending upon size of shrimp and hotness of your grill.
- In other bowl, place butter, remaining olive oil and all the garlic and last shake of red chili peppers - add optional ingredients if you would like.
- Take a peek at one shrimp, has shell turned dark and crisp looking? Then turn those babies over using tongs or long fork, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Check on one shrimp - see if done throughout, if so, take all shrimp off of grill and place into bowl that has butter, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice along with optional ingredients.
- Stir till butter is melted and serve immediately with extra napkins and separate little bowl for people to discard shells into.
- See the smiles on people's faces as they devour your grilled shrimp! You will wish you made more!
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating4 people
Yes, Yes, Yes. This is SUPER good. We can get some really big shrimps around here (under 6 per pound!) and man do they grill up good. I'll be doing this soon. Thanks for posting!saltymike in Naples loved it
I do almost the same thing, well i usually skewer them. BUT, the toss at the end, mm mm mm.. this looks mighty tasty. I can't wait to fire up the grill and try this. The broiler or grill pan probably works almost as well, but i agree with you that...morelexisone in Albuquerque loved it