Stracoto With Porcini Mushrooms -- Italian Pot RoastFrom modelsmom 5 years ago
- 1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck roast shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 onions, sliced shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups canned beef broth shopping list
- 1/2-ounce dried porcini mushrooms shopping list
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, plus extra for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the beef generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy 6-quart roasting pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes total.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to the pan, add the onions and saute until tender, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add the wine and boil 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth and mushrooms.
- Return the beef to the pan.
- Bring the liquids to a boil.
- Cover and transfer to the oven.
- Braise until the beef is fork-tender, turning the beef over halfway through cooking, about 3 hours.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Tent the beef with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon any excess fat off the top of the pan juices.
- Transfer the pan juices and vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Combine the sauce and rosemary sprig in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cut the beef across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange the sliced beef on a platter and garnish with rosemary.
- Spoon the sauce over and serve, passing the remaining sauce in a sauce boat.
The Cookmodelsmom Worcester, MA
The Rating4 people
I've made this and it is phenomenally good! Thanks for the great post... =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
What we would have this on Sunday, this meal made me always looked forward to Sunday's when we always made a roast of one type or another. Brings back memories of the good old days.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Yum!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!