U S Senate Bean SoupFrom pat2me 6 years ago
- 1 1/4 C small white beans such as pea beans or navy beans, picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 7 Cups of cold water shopping list
- One small ham hock shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 3 medium stalks of celery with leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place in a soup pot with 7 Cups of cold water and a small ham hock
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the ham hock, discard the bone, skin and any fat; dice the meat
- Return meat to the pot with;
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- simmer until the potatoes are quite soft, 20 to 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and mash potato (or use immersion blender) until soup is a bit creamy
- Stri in:
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
- Ladle into warm bowls
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookpat2me Nashua, NH
The Rating4 people
I've made this wonderful bean soup many a time and it is so delicious and full of flavor - that ham hock totally rocks here. Great post, Pat - can't wait to make it again. Yummm.lunasea in Orlando loved it
Somewhere I have a cookbook that has a story behind the Senate Bean soup and the bean they use! .. I will try to dig to find.. You will appreciate it!
This is one of my favorite winter soups!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
I’m stealing this recipe, it sounds wonderful!!! Love soups.
Thanks for sharing!
http://all4payday.comlindaburt021 in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!