U S Senate Bean SoupFrom pat2me 7 years ago
- 1 1/4 C small white beans such as pea beans or navy beans, picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 7 Cups of cold water shopping list
- One small ham hock shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 3 medium stalks of celery with leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place in a soup pot with 7 Cups of cold water and a small ham hock
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the ham hock, discard the bone, skin and any fat; dice the meat
- Return meat to the pot with;
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- simmer until the potatoes are quite soft, 20 to 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and mash potato (or use immersion blender) until soup is a bit creamy
- Stri in:
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
- Ladle into warm bowls
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookpat2me Nashua, NH
The Rating4 people
I’m stealing this recipe, it sounds wonderful!!! Love soups.
Thanks for sharing!
http://all4payday.comlindaburt021 in loved it
Somewhere I have a cookbook that has a story behind the Senate Bean soup and the bean they use! .. I will try to dig to find.. You will appreciate it!
This is one of my favorite winter soups!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
I've made this wonderful bean soup many a time and it is so delicious and full of flavor - that ham hock totally rocks here. Great post, Pat - can't wait to make it again. Yummm.lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!