Collards and Black-eyed Pea SoupFrom pink 5 years ago
- 6 cups water -- or vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 cups black eyed peas -- picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 1 bunch collard greens -- (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 2 large onions -- peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs celery -- finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic -- peeled and minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme -- (divided) shopping list
- 1 pinch cayenne -- or crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- salt -- or miso to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring shopping list
How to make it
- Bring the water and peas to a boil in large soup pot.
- Meanwhile, wash the collards thoroughly.
- Discard thick stems and discolored leaves.
- Chop the remaining stems and leaves into 1-inch strips.
- Add the collards, onions, celery, garlic, 1/2 tsp thyme, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the peas are tender, about 45-55 minutes.
- Stir in salt or miso to taste, reserved thyme, and liquid smoke flavoring and cook for about 15 minutes more.
The Cookpink USA
The Rating4 people
Sounds similar to my pot licker soup and that's wonderful, this rates a 5 in my book. Great post.henrie in Savannah loved it
Yeah baby.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
Love it!noir in Boston loved it