Collards and Black-eyed Pea SoupFrom pink 6 years ago
- 6 cups water -- or vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 cups black eyed peas -- picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 1 bunch collard greens -- (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 2 large onions -- peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 ribs celery -- finely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic -- peeled and minced shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme -- (divided) shopping list
- 1 pinch cayenne -- or crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- salt -- or miso to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring shopping list
How to make it
- Bring the water and peas to a boil in large soup pot.
- Meanwhile, wash the collards thoroughly.
- Discard thick stems and discolored leaves.
- Chop the remaining stems and leaves into 1-inch strips.
- Add the collards, onions, celery, garlic, 1/2 tsp thyme, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the peas are tender, about 45-55 minutes.
- Stir in salt or miso to taste, reserved thyme, and liquid smoke flavoring and cook for about 15 minutes more.
The Cookpink USA
The Rating4 people
Pink I love that you give this dish a smoky flavor without using bacon. This is a classic thank you.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
Love it!noir in Boston loved it
Yeah baby.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it