Roast Beef Po-Boys with Debris Gravy NAwlins StyleFrom susana 8 years ago
- For the Roast: shopping list
- 1 beef chuck roast (this one was 2 ½ pounds) shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced shopping list
- kosher salt & black pepper shopping list
- cayenne shopping list
- 3 Tbsp lard or vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, Diced shopping list
- 1 Small carrot, Diced shopping list
- 1 Cup beef stock shopping list
- 1 Cup chicken stock shopping list
- water if necessary shopping list
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce shopping list
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 Fresh Bay Leaf shopping list
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Cut small slits into the roast, about every 3 inches, try not to pierce all the way to the bottom.
- Stuff the sliced garlic into the slits.
- Season the Roast very liberally on all sides with the Salt & Black Pepper.
- Season with Cayenne to your taste - I don’t use much.
- Heat the fat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven over high heat.
- When the oil starts to smoke, wait a few more seconds, then carefully add the Roast cut side down.
- Brown very well on all sides, without burning it.
- Remove to a plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pan, add the onions and carrots.
- Cook until the onions just start to brown.
- Place the roast back in the pan, then add the stocks.
- Finish, if necessary, with enough water to bring the cooking liquid 3/4 of the way up the roast.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then back down to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 3-4 hours or until the meat falls apart by staring at it.
- For the Debris Gravy:
- Carve the meat into very thin slices.
- It will be hard to do and will fall apart, that is good.
- All of the bits and pieces, that fall off are your Debris (pronounced DAY-bree.)
- Add all of the bits and chunks to you cooking liquid after skimming off the fat from the surface.
- Keep the carved meat with a little liquid on a warm plate, covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- Bring the gravy to a full boil and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Po’ Boy:
- New Orleans Style French Bread
- (Po’ Boys are generally about 9-10 inches long per sandwich.
- Cut the bread 3/4 of the way through leaving a hinge for slightly, easier eating.
- Shredded Lettuce
- Roast Beef (see above)
- Debris Gravy
- Slather the bread with a very generous portion of Mayonnaise on the inside of the upper and lower halves.
- Place about a cup of Shredded Lettuce on the bottom half.
- Cover the lettuce with a generous portion of the “sliced” Beef.
- Drown the beef with Debris Gravy.
The Cooksusana Mandeville, LA
The Rating4 people
You got it babe. Got my vote.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
I love the title including the Debris Gravy!divaliscious in Dutchess County loved it
I made this for our Sugar Bowl party and it was awesome!! Instead of simmering on the stove, I put it in the oven at 350F, covered, in a Dutch oven. Delicious!!bquezonbulger in Tampa loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!