Pistachio BaklavaFrom hooch 5 years ago
- 1/3 cup honey shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 (3-inch long) strip of lemon zest shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan shopping list
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen phyllo, thawed overnight in refrigerator shopping list
- 1 cup shelled salted pistachio nuts, finely ground in food processor shopping list
- orange slices (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small saucepan, combine honey, sugar, 1/3 cup water, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove syrup from heat; set aside.
- Butter bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking dish. Cut two 8-by-13-inch sheets of parchment paper; line bottom and sides of dish, overlapping sheets in a crisscross pattern, leaving an overhang.
- Unroll phyllo sheets on a flat surface; lift the top half, and carefully roll into a tight tube. Using a sharp knife, cut crosswise to make 1-inch-wide ribbons. Roll remaining phyllo sheets, and store, tightly wrapped in plastic, in refrigerator up to a week.
- In a large bowl, unroll and loosen phyllo ribbons. Using your hands, gently toss with butter and all but 2 tablespoons pistachios; press firmly into prepared baking dish. Bake until lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Remove zest and cinnamon stick from syrup; discard. Reheat syrup over medium heat; pour over the hot pastry. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons pistachios; let cool completely.
- Using paper overhang, lift baklava onto a cutting board. Remove paper. With a sharp knife, gently cut into 8 triangles; transfer to a serving dish. Serve with orange slices, if desired. If not serving right away, leave in dish. Cover with plastic; store at room temperature up to 3 days.