Stuffed Grape LeavesFrom mamafrog 8 years ago
- 40 preserved grape leaves, rinsed shopping list
- 1 cup uncooked rice (not Minute Rice, I use sushi rice) shopping list
- 1 lb. lamb, ground shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 2 Tbsp canola oil shopping list
- 1/4 c lemon juice shopping list
- Water shopping list
- plain yogurt (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In medium bowl mix rice, lamb, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, and oil.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of lamb stuffing on the dull side of the grape leaf. Begin rolling in a jelly roll fashion. After the first roll, tuck in the ends, and continue rolling. The roll should be firm, but not too tight because the rice expands as it cooks. If it is too tight it might burst. Repeat with the rest of the leaves and filling.
- In a 2 1/2 quart pan arrange rolls in compact rows. Add enough water to just below the top row of rolls. Place a small plate on top of the rolls. This is to weigh them down so they will remain intact while they cook. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and let simmer 45 minutes or until leaves are tender. Most of the water will have absorbed at this point. Uncover, add lemon juice, and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and transfer to serving platter. Serve with yogurt.
The Cookmamafrog Elizabeth, PA
The Rating7 people
By far the best grape leaves I've ever had, honestly.emilydrew in Pittsburgh loved it
yes, this is a great recipe - i should know, that's the way i make them, too :-) - i often add some chopped mint leaves and just a little bit of lemon to the cooking water.
and, if you grind some garlic with salt, grate some cucumber (squeeze to...morekochhexe in Butzbach loved it
I will try this with some grape leaves that I have frozen from my garden.
Michaeltrigger in loved it