CHICKEN MUSHROOM CHOWDERFrom magandab 9 years ago
- 3 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 pound cubed cooked chicken breast meat (1 large breast) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (I used half wild rice) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, finely chopped shopping list
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1 cup low fat milk shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil. Season with oregano and pepper. Add rice, and reduce heat.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and saute garlic, onion, carrot, and mushrooms until tender. Thoroughly mix in the flour. Transfer to the broth mixture.
- Mix in the cubed chicken.
- Stir milk into the mixture, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.