Southern Fried CatfishFrom saltymike 9 years ago
- 4-5 lbs catfish fillets shopping list
- 1 cup finely ground yellow corn meal shopping list
- 1 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- ½-¾ tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp granulated garlic shopping list
- 2 tsp granulated onion shopping list
- ground cayenne pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- ½ cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 Tbsp Louisiana style hot sauce shopping list
- oil for frying, enough to completely submerge fish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil to 375.
- Rinse catfish fillets and place on paper towel to drain.
- Place corn meal, flour, salt, black and red pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion in a large shallow bowl and mix well.
- Place eggs, buttermilk, and hot sauce in a bowl and mix well.
- Soak catfish fillets in buttermilk/egg mixture for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove fillets a few at a time from the buttermilk/egg mixture, shake off excess and roll in cornmeal flour mixture.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Season as necessary and serve up hot.
- Note: I use catfish fillets for convenience. The fillets are simple to rinse and cook. If you like, you can use whole catfish. Try to avoid frozen fish. Select smaller fish such as Channel Catfish, dress and skin, leaving tails and fins on. Prepare as noted above.
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating6 people
My hubby (Mike) likes your idea of a 7 course meal. you have similar taste.cheryilyn in Salem loved it
Always a great meal :)donman in Hammond loved it
One of my favorites as well.:)
Defiantley need some beers to wash it down.sirshawnthebrewer in Akron loved it