Armenian LahmajunFrom ivy 6 years ago
- For the dough shopping list
- dried yeast shopping list
- sugar shopping list
- Lukewarm water shopping list
- flour shopping list
- salt shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- For the topping shopping list
- ground beef (or lamb) shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- onions shopping list
- garlic shopping list
- tomatoes peeled, seeded, and blended shopping list
- mild boukovo (Greek red chili flakes) shopping list
- sweet paprika shopping list
- chili pepper shopping list
- Finely-chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- For the top: juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- Note: the measurements have been removed as the recipe is now included in my cookbook. shopping list
How to make it
- For the flatbread, sift the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl and add the olive oil and rub with your hands until oil is absorbed. Make a well in the centre. Add the lukewarm water and mix to make a soft dough. Add more flour if still sticking on your hands and knead for five minutes.
- Cover with a napkin and leave somewhere warm for about one hour until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, add oil in a non stick frying pan and sauté the minced beef. Finely chop the onion and the garlic and sauté as well. Peel tomatoes and put them into a food processor and process, using the pulse button, until finely chopped but not a pulp. Add to ground meat as well as all the spices and mix.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down. When it has cooled, add the finely chopped parsley and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- For the flatbread, punch back the dough, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead once more until smooth. Divide the dough into 2 evenly sized pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll each one out very thinly on a lightly floured surface into round flat breads about 1 cm thick.
- Place in an oiled 32 cm pizza baking tin and adjust dough to spread evenly. Oil dough slightly with a brush and place half the minced meat on top, leaving a border of about 2-3 cm uncovered.
- Make sure to roll the dough thinly, spread the beef or lamb topping right out to the edges and cook it quickly in a very hot oven.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and crispy.
- Remove first tray and place the other one immediately.
- Serve straight away adding lemon juice.
- The traditional way to do this is to make smaller round pitas and to pile a few parsley sprigs towards one end of the flatbread, squeeze over a little lemon juice and roll it up, in the same way you would a souvlaki.
The Cookivy Whereabouts, Unknown
The Rating4 people
sounds goodcheryilyn in Salem loved it
This sounds SO good!emilydrew in Pittsburgh loved it
This is my husbands favorite childhood food. I have tried many recipes but this one he says is the best. Thank you soo much for posting this! I continue to try to mimic Armenian recipes. So far with tons of luck! Thanks again!lovergrl8799 in Spokane loved it