Chicken VindalooFrom uk2nyc 9 years ago
- 1 1/2 tbs of cumin seeds shopping list
- 1 tbs of coriander / cilantro seeds shopping list
- 2 tbs of dried fenugreek leaves ( or 1 tbs of fenugreek seeds) shopping list
- 1 tbs of mustard seeds shopping list
- 6 cardamom pods shopping list
- 3 inch cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1 tsp of black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp of tumeric shopping list
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder ( add according to your spice tolerance) shopping list
- 4-5 tbs of red wine vinegar ( I add coconut vinegar, 6 tbs) shopping list
- 3 medium size red onions shopping list
- 3 green chillies seeded and chopped ( add according to your spice tolerance) shopping list
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger shopping list
- 6-8 cloves of garlic shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- 3 medium sized potatoes, cut in 6 pieces each shopping list
- 4 ripe red vine tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato puree shopping list
- 2 lb chicken cut into small pieces ( or use the meat of your choice) shopping list
- 2 tbs of chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 4 tbs veg oil shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- * This dish is supposed to be spicy ! not for the faint hearted !
- In a spice grinder or blender, powder ingredients 1-7 and set in a bowl
- To this add your tumeric powder, sugar, salt, chilli powder and vinegar
- Chop your onions and in the oil fry them until nicely dark brown (Important)
- Using a spoon transfer the onions to a blender and add 4 tbs of water and make a nice paste. Turn off the fire.
- Add this to your spice mix, stir well and set aside. ( vindaloo paste)
- In the same pan that you fried your onions, there should be some oil left. Turn the flame to medium.
- Puree your ginger and garlic with a couple of tbs of water and add to your hot oil with the bay leaf.
- Stir for 2 mins
- Add your chicken pieces and fry for 3-4 mins
- Use the water to get the garlic ginger paste out of the blender and add to your pot
- Add your vindaloo paste, potatoes and chopped tomatoes
- Cover and let cook on medium low for about an hour or until your potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro
- Serve with hot basmati rice.
The Cookuk2nyc Milano, Italy, IT
The Rating12 people
great recipe.cheryilyn in Salem loved it
Yum this looks amazing.jabec in Kingston loved it
Wow, look at what I missed when I was off sick. I love your recipes Richard and appreciate the photos to go along with them. Thank you so very much!peepers in loved it