Dads Amazing Pot RoastFrom addy 7 years ago
- 3-4 lb. chuck roast (boneless); 4-6 lb. (boned) *I like the extra flavor a boned roast gives, but I can never find boned roasts anymore...the only time was the first time I made it* shopping list
- 6-10 medium potatoes, depending on your taste and how many people you want to serve shopping list
- 3/4-1 whole bag of carrots, again depending on how many or how little you want shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 5-6 cloves fresh garlic shopping list
- 6 beef bouillon cubes shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- meat tenderizer shopping list
- spices: coarse ground black pepper, seasoned salt, oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, celery powder, rubbed sage, paprika shopping list
- *garlic powder, onion powder: I have made it with and without these and it is just as good...gives a little extra pow* shopping list
- water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Cut carrots lengthwise and into 2"-3" sections.
- Dice onion.
- Crush or mince cloves of garlic.
- Place roast in large roasting pan, sprinkle with meat tenderizer and beat with a tenderizing hammer for approx. 5 minutes. Repeat on the other side. *NOTE: This can get kinda messy, so I discovered that covering the roast with plastic wrap before beating it helps to keep your work area cleaner, and beating the meat on a cookie sheet instead of in the roasting pan can help too!*
- Sprinkle roast with seasoning salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over this and rub into meat. Next, sprinkle basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, celery powder, rubbed sage, and onion and garlic powders over the meat. Drizzle a little more olive oil over this and pat it into the meat. Next, beat the spices into the meat again for about 2 minutes. Repeat this on the other side of roast.
- Place roast in roasting pan and surround the roast with the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Sprinkle the crushed garlic on top and around the meat.
- Heat the bouillon cubes in a bowl with 1 to 1 1/2 cups water in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stir to dissolve the cubes...if they aren't dissolving, heat more. Pour this mixture over the veggies. Add more water to almost cover the veggies entirely, but trying not to pour directly on the meat, as the spices will "wash off".
- Sprinkle paprika over the veggies and meat.
- Place in oven uncovered for 45 min. to 1 hour or until veggies are slightly browned.
- Remove add a little more water, as some will have evaporated, cover with foil or roasting pan lid and bake an additional 4-5 hours at 175 degrees. *REMEMBER to turn the temp. down to 175 degrees.
- Eat and enjoy! You will be able to cut the meat with a fork, it will be so tender. The veggies will have a blissful aroma and all the flavors of the meat and spices. There will be plenty of "juice" to pour over the meat and veggies or you could take some out and make a thicker gravy with it. Please let me know what you think. It's kinda time-consuming, but so worth it!!!
The Cookaddy Lynchburg, VA
The Rating6 people
Sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. :)donman in Hammond loved it
Sounds Great...Sorry to hear of your Father's passing. Thanks for the postrml in loved it
What a beautiful remembrance!Great recipe! You have my 5!smooch in America loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!