New England Clam ChowderFrom csmdad 7 years ago
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 quart shucked clams, with liquid shopping list
- 6 (8 ounce) jars clam juice shopping list
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 3 cups half-and-half cream shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill weed shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in a large kettle or stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until clear. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate pot, bring clams and clam juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, cover peeled potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Slowly pour hot clam stock into butter/flour mixture while stirring constantly. Continue stirring and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add cooked potatoes. Mix in half and half, salt and pepper and chopped dill. Heat through but do not boil.