Tarte TatinFrom modelsmom 9 years ago
- 1 stick unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cold water shopping list
- 1 pinch salt shopping list
- 1 2/3 cups plain all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- caramel apple Filling: shopping list
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 10 apples (Granny Smiths, Cortland, Jonagold) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400.
- To make the pastry, let the butter soften to room temperature and put it into a mixer on low speed. Pulse for 2 seconds
- Add the egg, then the water.
- Mix for a few seconds, add the salt and the flour, keeping 2 tablespoons aside for later if the dough is too sticky.
- Work fast - it'll get tough if you take too long.
- Stop the mixer before the dough turns into a ball.
- Flatten the pastry and shape into a circle about 6 inches wide.
- Place the pastry on a plate, wrap it in plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours. This will make it stay flat when you roll it out.
- Caramel Apple Filling:
- Cut the butter into little bits and scatter on a 10-inch, well-seasoned, oven proof skillet.
- Shake the sugar over it and add 2 tablespoons of water to keep it from crystallizing.
- Caramelize the sugar over medium heat.
- Peel the apples, cut in 2, remove the core, and slice.
- Once the butter and sugar have caramelized take the pan off the heat.
- Place the pieces of apple vertically on top of the caramel in the baking pan, arranging in concentric circles and taking care to fill the gaps with more pieces so they stick together in a solid mass.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the apples.
- Put the dish back on medium heat for 15 minutes until the caramel starts bubbling up through the apples.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll the pastry out and place over the apples, folding it in at the edges.
- Make 3 or 4 vent holes with a knife to let steam out when baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes (otherwise the apples will fall apart when you turn it over).
- Take a dinner plate and put it over the baking pan. Turn it over. SLOWLY remove the baking pan.
- Serve lukewarm with vanilla ice cream, heavy cream or whipped cream.
The Cookmodelsmom Worcester, MA
The Rating6 people
Modelsmom, this looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. Thank you for posting it, and you definitely have my five!chihuahua in Sonoma County loved it
Great one!!ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
Great recipe.5 forks.grumpymomma in Saint Louise loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!