Loukoumades Greek Honey BallsFrom lor 6 years ago
- 1/4 ounce (1 packet) dry yeast shopping list
- 1 cup warm water shopping list
- I-2/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- FOR THE SYRUP: shopping list
- 8-10 Tablespoons honey shopping list
- *I usually use 3/4 cup of a good clover or buckwheat honey and 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 4 Tablespoons water shopping list
- Canola or peanut oil for deep frying shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- TO MAKE THE BATTER:
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water for 15 minutes or until it becomes frothy.
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the yeast solution and remaining 1/2 cup warm water.
- Mix well to make a thick batter.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and leave for 1 hour in a warm place or until the batter has doubled in size.
- TO MAKE THE SYRUP:
- Place the honey and water in a saucepan and simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- TO MAKE THE HONEY BALLS:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan suitable for deep frying.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil, turning them as they puff up.Fry for about 3 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm until all the batter is used,
- To serve, place on a large platter or individual plates.
- Spoon the syrup over and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon,
- Makes about 26
- Source: Modern Greek by Andy Harris
People Who Like This Dish 19
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- kukla Barrie, Ontario, CA
- perry416 Mississauga, CA
- krystynainsydney Bondi Junction, AU
- anetamar Winnipeg, CA
- marduk Richmond, CA
- chefles65 Huron, SD
- hileeboydston Montgomery, AL
- latenightcook Vancouver Bc, CA
- craftyazgirl El Mirage, AZ
- Plus 9 othersFrom around the world!
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating6 people
Most cuisines of the world have a slighlty different version of these -- and I love them all !! :)
A great post, Lor :)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
Thanks for the post,I think my husband will enjoy this one.grandmommy in Nashville loved it
Oh, you found one of my weakness's... soooooo good!!
Got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it