Chicken and Spinach CalzonesFrom michellem 6 years ago
- 2 tsps olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. I used about 3 ounces of spinach..it was a perfect amount. shopping list
- 8 ounces of part-skim ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 tbs. minced garlic shopping list
- 1tbs chopped parsley shopping list
- 4 tsp. parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 egg whites, divided shopping list
- 1 frozen whole-wheat bread dough loaf(16 ounces), thawed, not risen shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. I use my pizza stone covered with parchment paper.
- Cut chicken into small pieces.
- In a large , nonstick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and saute, turning occasionally until golden brown, about10 to 12 min.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic, parsley, parmesan cheese and 1 of the egg whites. Mix until well blended, Set aside.
- In another bowl, using a wire whisk or fork beat the remaining egg white lightly.
- Cut the bread dough into 6 equal-sized pieces.
- On a floured surface, press each piece into a circle.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each dough piece into ovals 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. Brush the edges of the dough ovals with the lightly beaten egg white.
- Place 1/6 of the chicken cubes in the center of each oval.
- Add 1/6 of the spinach mixture to each.
- Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges together.
- Crimp with a fork and place on the prepared pan.
- Bake until browned and crispy, about 15 to 20 min.
- Serve immediately.
- Goes nice with a salad.
- Nutritional Analysis
- per serving (1 calzone)
- Calories 359
- Cholesterol 60 mg
- Protein 33 g
- Carbohydrate 40 g
- Total fat 9 g
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Monounsaturated fat 2 g
- Sodium 626 mg
- Fiber 4 g
- Potassium 239 mg
- Calcium 118 mg
The Cookmichellem Idaho, ID
The Rating6 people
I agree with all the high accolades you got on this recipe. I can't wait to try this version of it!
I also want to tell you about my new cooking group: Calzones, Stromboli and Handheld Meals.
I will send you the link if you can'...morepollymotzko in Garden Grove loved it
Made it last night...Very Good! Thanks!JamieV in San Diego loved it
These sound delish!!! I'm with jett2whit - excellent illustrations!!!lor in Toronto loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!