Baby Eggplants Stuffed With Nuts And Pomegranate SeedsFrom jimrug1 7 years ago
- 18 Baby eggplant (Around 3" long. Not much more than 4") shopping list
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (Dry toasted) shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pine nuts (Dry toasted) shopping list
- 1/3 cup sea salt shopping list
- 1 Cup fresh pomegranate seeds shopping list
- 6 - 8 whole garlic cloves shopping list
- Lots of extra virgin olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and Destem Eggplants
- Place in Boiling water and cover with a plate to keep submerged.
- Boil approximately 5 mins or until fork tender but not mushy.
- Remove to a colander to cool
- Mix Nuts and Pomegranate Seeds with Salt
- Slit Eggplants lengthwise and form a large pocket with your fingers or a spoon. Squeeze eggplant to release any remaining juices
- Stuff eggplants firmly with nut/pomegranate mixture and close sides by squeezing in the palm of your hand. After squeezing, stuff again if there is more room. If the eggplants will not stay closed, tie them around the middle with a small piece of butcher's twine.
- Pack eggplant in sterilized Qt Jars. Drop 1 -3 garlic cloves in between each layer of eggplant. Invert open jars on a sheet pan and leave overnight to let any excess water drain out.
- The next morning, Stand up jars and cover completely with Olive Oil. Cover Jars. Store in a cool place at room temp for 7 - 10 days to let eggplant "work". Every couple of days, losen lids to let any gas build up escape. The eggplant must be covered with oil at all times or they will mold so add some if any are exposed.
- After 10 days, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To Serve: Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Arrainge on a platter with a bowl of drained yogurt cheese and toasted pita.
- Note: The remaining oil is delicious and can be used for cooking or drizzling.
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating7 people
I finally got the baby eggplants and made this and I loved it. No ingredient I don't like and such a flavor blend 5 + joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
I got my pomegranate seeds and I am making these tomorrow. I can't wait! I'll let you know how they turn out for me. ;-)~ Vickie
UPDATE: They are in 'drain' mode even as I type. They are so pretty....it's going to be a lonnnnggggg 7-1...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
Eggplanticious! (Is that a word?) What I meant is, I love it!juels in Clayton loved it