Shrimp And Sesame Sticks With Apricot Dipping SauceFrom lunasea 5 years ago
- For shrimp Filling: shopping list
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted (See NOTE 3 in instructions) shopping list
- 1 1/3 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined shopping list
- 3 scallions, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- ~~~~ shopping list
- For Sticks: shopping list
- 12 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen shopping list
- 1 1/4 sticks (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (See NOTE 3 in instructions) shopping list
- kosher salt for sprinkling shopping list
- ~~~~ shopping list
- For apricot Dipping Sauce: shopping list
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves shopping list
- 1 tablespoon water shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice shopping list
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger shopping list
How to make it
- Make Shrimp Filling:
- Pulse together all filling ingredients in a food processor until they form a coarse paste.
- Make Sticks:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover phyllo with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and then a dampened kitchen towel.
- Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface, keeping remainder covered, and brush generously with butter. Stack 2 more phyllo sheets on top, generously buttering each.
- Cut phyllo stack in half lengthwise, then arrange 1 half with a long side nearest you.
- With dampened fingers shape 3 tablespoons shrimp filling into a narrow rope along edge nearest you, then roll up paste tightly in phyllo to form a long thin roll.
- Make another roll with other half of stack.
- Make 6 more rolls with remaining phyllo sheets, butter, and shrimp filling.
- Lightly brush top of rolls with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds and kosher salt.
- Cut each roll crosswise into 4 sticks and arrange, seam sides down, 1 inch apart on 2 large baking sheets.
- Bake sticks in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until phyllo is golden brown, about 15 minutes total.
- Transfer sticks to a rack to cool slightly and serve warm with dipping sauce.
- *NOTE: Shrimp sticks can be assembled (but not coated and baked) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Make Apricot Dipping Sauce:
- Purée all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- *NOTE 2: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.
- *NOTE 3: Toast sesame seeds in one of these two ways:
- Place in a dry heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant
- and a shade or two darker, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place in a shallow baking pan in a 350° F oven until golden, 5 to 15 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them and don't let them burn...
The Cooklunasea Orlando, FL
The Rating3 people
Oh vickie, how pretty are those? *eyes glazing over with food lust* There's no way I'd ever have the patience to do this, but I can still ogle and drool, can't I? ;)danadooley in Singapore loved it
Another winner Vickie. I wouldn't have the patience for this either but I can dream.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
Another prize winner for my guest to Bookmarked
and Flags waving for this wonderful Shrimp and Sesame Sticks With Apricot Dipping Sauce.trigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!