Okra Stew Egyptian StyleFrom cgendy 8 years ago
- 1 lb cubed chuck roast beef (stew meat) or cubed lamb shopping list
- 1 lb okra (the smaller the better for this recipe) shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced) shopping list
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed) shopping list
- 1 8oz can of tomato sauce shopping list
- 3 cups of water shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
- cajun seasoning or All spice to taste shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dry coriander shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium to large pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute just until transparent..
- Stir in the beef or lamb cubes and saute until brown.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir in to coat meat.
- Let simmer on high for about 3 mins stirring every minute.
- Stir in the water (all 3 cups) and bring to a boil.
- When at a full rolling boil, cover pot and put heat on low.
- Let cook like this for a full hour, stirring every 15 mins.
- Add Okra and let cook for another 15 mins.
- About 5 mins before Orka is done cooking, (soft and mushy, but still holding its shape when stirred) add enough salt, pepper and cajun/ all spice to suit your taste and the 1/2 tsp coriander.
- Serve with white rice.
- In Egypt we serve it in a bowl with a plate of white rice on the side and will spoon the stew over the rice and eat.
The Cookcgendy Manalapan, NJ
The Rating2 people
I love okra, my grandmother used to string it up in the fall and dry it. Then use them in sauces throughout the winter. This recipe sounds delicious. Very similar to a Lebanese dish I am used to.. I would like to try this. Thanks for posting... J...morejimrug1 in Peoria loved it
:) Thanks for sharing this..Ya!! One for the old days..ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!