Brazilian Shrimp SoupFrom zereh 9 years ago
- 2 T EVOO shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3/4 long-grain rice shopping list
- 1/4 t red-pepper flakes (I used more =P) shopping list
- 1 3/4 t salt (I used less, about 1 t) shopping list
- 15-oz can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 5 c veggie broth shopping list
- 1 c unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 1 1/2-lbs medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally shopping list
- 1/4 t fresh-ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 T lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro or parsley shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, bell peper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften. About 10 minutes.
- Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, sitrring occaisionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in black pepper, lemon juice and parsley.
- (Can sub one pound of skinless chicken breasts [about three], cut crosswise into quarter-inch strips for the shrimp. Cook for the same amount of time.)