Strawberry ShortcakesFrom dandelion 6 years ago
- 4 c unbleached all purpose flour shopping list
- 4 t Bakewell Cream shopping list
- 2 t baking soda shopping list
- 1 t kosher salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 c + 1 T heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 c buttermilk shopping list
- 6 T Cold butter Diced into tiny cubes shopping list
- 2 T shortening shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2/3 c + 1 T sugar shopping list
- 1 t vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 quarts of strawberries shopping list
- whipped cream shopping list
How to make it
- The morning of serving slice the strawberries and place into a bowl.
- Cover with 1/3 cup sugar and mix. Allow to sit refrigerated for 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 475*F.
- Break one egg into a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of cream and whisk. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a one cup measuring cup. Sweep the top level. Place into a large bowl. Repeat until you have 4 cups in the bowl.
- Sift the Bakewell Cream, baking soda, kosher salt and 1/3 cup of sugar into the bowl. Stir to blend.
- Add the butter and shortening to the dry ingredients. Mix with your hands until the butter is broken up into pea sized pieces and the shortening is incorporated. The mixture should be lumpy.
- Break the remaining egg into another quart size bowl. Add one cup of the cream, buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk together.
- Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the cream mixture. With a rubber spatula mix the dry ingredients together with the wet. Do not over mix.
- Turn out onto a smooth floured surface. Knead a until the dough comes together. Do not over knead. The dough should still have the little lumps of butter running through it.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Cut dough into 2 1/2 inch circles. Use a sharp biscuit cutter and do not move side to side to release the biscuit. The sharper the cut the higher the biscuit.
- Place the biscuits onto a parchment lined sheet pan about 2 inches apart.
- Brush the biscuits with the reserved egg wash.
- Sprinkle the biscuits with the remaining sugar ( I use sanding sugar).
- Bake for 5 minutes at 475*F. Turn down heat to 350*F and bake for 10 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Drain the strawberries reserving the juices.
- While still warm cut the biscuits in half. Pour a teaspoon of the reserved juice onto the bottom of the biscuit. Pour about the same amount of the heavy cream over that.
- Place strawberries over the bottom biscuit. Place a dollop of whipped cream on the strawberries.
- Place the top on. Pour a little more juice on top. One more dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with a fanned strawberry or with a sprig of mint.
The Cookdandelion Ashland, NE
The Rating5 people
Sounds so good, where do you find Bakewell Cream? I'm not familar with this :(henrie in Savannah loved it
Thank you, you have my 5 alsohenrie in Savannah loved it
Great recipe here, I'm glad you told us where to buy baewell cream because I really want to try this. Thanks for the post. You have my 5 also.chefmeow in Garland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!