Ultimate Pot RoastFrom chefjeb 9 years ago
- 4 or 5 lb beef shoulder roast shopping list
- flour shopping list
- oil shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 3 onions shopping list
- 6 carrots shopping list
- four ribs celery shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 envelope onion soup mix shopping list
- 1 tbs garlic shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 1 tbs worcestershire shopping list
- 3 beef bullion cubes shopping list
- 2 tbs beef base shopping list
- cornstarch (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Trim roast of any outside fat.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Sear both sides in hot dutch oven coated with oil. You will use dutch oven to cook roast.
- Add onions, quartered aand 4 carrots cut into about three pieces each. Add celery cut into two or three inch pieces.
- Add bay leaves, garlic, onion soup mix.
- Add enough water to almost cover roast. DO NOT COVER.
- Add beef base and bullion cubes, wine and worcestershire.
- Cover and place in 325 degree oven and leave for 3 hours.
- Check and if it is not falling apart tender, cook longer.
- At this point you may add more carrots for side veggies.
- Remove roast when fork tender and put dutch oven on stove and heat gravy to slow boil. Add 1 tbs cornstarch mixed in 1/3 cup cool water and stir in and let simmer for about four minutes. This thickening is optional. Serve with real mashed potatoes,
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating7 people
I made this and the killer mashed potatoes and I have never had such a tasty roast. The gravy is heaven.ramlynrose in Pearl loved it
Simply excellent. My wife loved it and asked for more. We'll be trying a lot more of your recipes.
gnnoles in Cleveland loved it
Couldn't be better.
See Ultimate Pot Roast for further fawning.
5/17/13pointsevenout in Athens loved it