ROASTED ONION SOUPFrom tnacndn 9 years ago
- 1/4 C. fresh parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- 3 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 C. brandy shopping list
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 garlic head, large, cloves separated, peeled and cut shopping list
- in half shopping list
- 4 C. chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tsp. shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 3 large shallots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Set oven rack at the lowest level.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
- Remove from oven and pour in one-fourth of the chicken stock.
- Stir liquid in the pan, scraping the bottom to loosen and dissolve any caramelized bits.(The liquid will become quite dark.)
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and the remaining chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with Parmesan cheese.