Passover recipe Persian chicken soup with chicken dumplingsFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken back bones shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 large onion (halved lengthwise), ends removed and halved again lengthwise shopping list
- 1 rib of celery cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 medium carrot cut crosswise into quarter-inch-thick slices shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, or to taste shopping list
- 2 dried Persian limes (lemon omani), crushed open (this can be done under a kitchen towel) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon dried mint shopping list
- 4 boneless chicken thighs with skins, ground (about 3/4 pound) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 medium spanish onion, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup matzo cake flour shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh whole baby spinach leaves shopping list
- sea salt to taste shopping list
- juice from 1 fresh lime shopping list
- 1/2 cup English peas, blanched (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse the chicken bones with cold water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart stock pot set over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, the celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, just until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat, if necessary, to keep the vegetables from caramelizing.
- Stir in the turmeric, crushed dried limes and the mint and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken back bones and add 2 quarts and 2 cups water (the water should cover the bones by about 3 inches). Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, and skim the fat and debris from the surface. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, make the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the ground chicken thigh meat with the garlic, Spanish onion, cardamom, matzo cake flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs, then flatten slightly into ovals and set aside on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This makes about 2 dozen meatballs.
- Strain the soup into a clean pot, discarding everything but the broth. Bring the broth back to a simmer and gently add the chicken dumplings, one or two at a time. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked thoroughly. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste.
- To serve, place a couple of dumplings into each soup bowl along with a few spinach leaves (and a few peas, if using). Add the fresh lime juice to the soup, and then ladle about 1 cup into each bowl. Serve immediately.
- Each serving: 73 calories; 5 grams protein; 3 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 18 mg. cholesterol; 541 mg. sodium.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
Great post Mystic. This sounds really, relly good. I too love these kind of recipes. You've got my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Sounds delightful and loaded with flavor. Thanks so much for such an interesting recipe, JM. You get a big high 5 from me!lunasea in Orlando loved it
looks good ... love chicken soups.peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it