Passover recipe Persian chicken soup with chicken dumplingsFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken back bones shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 large onion (halved lengthwise), ends removed and halved again lengthwise shopping list
- 1 rib of celery cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 medium carrot cut crosswise into quarter-inch-thick slices shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, or to taste shopping list
- 2 dried Persian limes (lemon omani), crushed open (this can be done under a kitchen towel) shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon dried mint shopping list
- 4 boneless chicken thighs with skins, ground (about 3/4 pound) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 medium spanish onion, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup matzo cake flour shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh whole baby spinach leaves shopping list
- sea salt to taste shopping list
- juice from 1 fresh lime shopping list
- 1/2 cup English peas, blanched (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse the chicken bones with cold water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart stock pot set over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, the celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, just until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat, if necessary, to keep the vegetables from caramelizing.
- Stir in the turmeric, crushed dried limes and the mint and continue to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken back bones and add 2 quarts and 2 cups water (the water should cover the bones by about 3 inches). Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, and skim the fat and debris from the surface. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, make the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the ground chicken thigh meat with the garlic, Spanish onion, cardamom, matzo cake flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs, then flatten slightly into ovals and set aside on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This makes about 2 dozen meatballs.
- Strain the soup into a clean pot, discarding everything but the broth. Bring the broth back to a simmer and gently add the chicken dumplings, one or two at a time. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked thoroughly. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste.
- To serve, place a couple of dumplings into each soup bowl along with a few spinach leaves (and a few peas, if using). Add the fresh lime juice to the soup, and then ladle about 1 cup into each bowl. Serve immediately.
- Each serving: 73 calories; 5 grams protein; 3 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 18 mg. cholesterol; 541 mg. sodium.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
looks good ... love chicken soups.peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
Sounds delightful and loaded with flavor. Thanks so much for such an interesting recipe, JM. You get a big high 5 from me!lunasea in Orlando loved it
Great post Mystic. This sounds really, relly good. I too love these kind of recipes. You've got my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it