Jam CakeFrom blueeyes68ky 7 years ago
- 2 3/4 cups of All-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teas. Soda shopping list
- 1 teas. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 cup cocoa shopping list
- 1 scant teaspoon of each nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teas salt shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups of sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup berries with juice shopping list
- 1 teas vanilla shopping list
- 1 Cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar shopping list
- 1/3 cup hot water shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl mix together flour, soda, baking powder, cocoa, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cinnamon and salt. You can also sift this 3 times with a sifter.
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, shortening, eggs. Add the berries with juice and vanilla.
- Mix together the buttermilk and vinegar.
- Add buttermilk mixture and flour mixture alternately to the cake mixture mix that well. Then add 1/3 cup of hot water and mix well.
- Pour in 3 large layer cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 degress F about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool a bit. Then turn out to cool.
- Carmel Icing
- In a heavy pan add 2 cups of brown sugar ( do not pack down)
- Half or less cup of milk
- Heat to boiling. Let boil about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat Add 3 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir and let cool.
- When completely cool mix enough confectionery sugar until it will spread easily. Put Icing on cake.
- Note: I have also made this cake in a 9 x 13-inch pan and also a bundt cake pan. Cook time won't be the same but you still need to cook until tooth pick inserted in center come out clean.
People Who Like This Dish 9
- ttaaccoo Buffalo, NY
- kimberry Mesa, Arizona
- rosemaryblue CollegeTown
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- zena824 Somewhere, USA, AR
- chefmeow Garland, TX
- bluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- wanda52 Crab Orchard, KY
- kyhussy Cincinnati, OH
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookblueeyes68ky Owenton, KY
The Rating10 people
very nice indeedminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
Excellent recipe!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
sounds great! thanks!magali777 in Mexico loved it