Old Fashioned Beet BorschtFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- 1 bunch beets ( about 4 medium ) shopping list
- 5 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp citric acid ( sour salt ) shopping list
- Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar shopping list
- white granulated sugar shopping list
- powdered chicken bouillon to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
- Hot boiled potato shopping list
- Chopped chives shopping list
How to make it
- Cut stems/leaves off beets but leave on skins and cover with water ( add a splash of vinegar so beets remain red ) and cook about an hour until tender.
- Drain and peel off skins ( slips off easily ) under running cold water.
- Coarse shred beets by hand into a soup pot.
- Cover with the 5 cups of water. Add citric acid, vinegar ( or lemon juice ) along with sugar to make a sweet and sour taste as desired.
- Add a bit of powdered chicken bouillon if desired.
- Normally equal quantities of sweet and sour OR 1 part sugar to 1/2 part sour should give the desired taste you want.
- Heat and stir to dissolve sugar and let soup simmer a few minutes to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat and cool and chill well.
- To serve one may stir in some sour cream into the soup ( it becomes a vivid pink!!) or just dollop sour cream onto individual portions
- Or garnish with chopped chives sour cream, or perhaps a hot boiled potato into the cold soup!