Basic Fried ChickenFrom solanaceae 8 years ago
- 6 chicken legs, cut into 2 pieces each shopping list
- buttermilk shopping list
- Tabasco sauce to taste shopping list
- 1/4 t salt optional shopping list
- 1/4 t pepper shopping list
- 5 C AP flour shopping list
- 1 C corn meal shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- garlic powder shopping list
- onion powder shopping list
- celery salt shopping list
- sweet paprika shopping list
- peanut oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- At least 24 hours before you plan to eat place the chicken in a large freezer bag. Cover with buttermilk, add Tabasco, salt and pepper. Give a good shake to mix and stash in the fridge. I turn the bag every few hours to make sure all the pieces get coated.
- Several hours before you plan to cook the chicken mix all the rest of the dry ingredients in a 9x13 pan.
- Drain the chicken and coat each piece in the flour mixture. Move to a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
- You may repeat the flour process if you like by dipping each piece in buttermilk and then in the flour.
- Store the flour coated pieces in the fridge for at least an hour, up to 2 hours.
- I fry my chicken in an old cast iron skillet over medium heat a few pieces at a time for about 10 minutes per side. As the chicken gets done I remove it to a rack set over a cookie sheet.
- Don't crowd the fry pan or the chicken will steam instead of fry.