Ultimate Crumb CakeFrom silverqueen 6 years ago
- CRUMB TOPPING: shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. salt shopping list
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and still warm shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour shopping list
- CAKE: shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces softened but still cool shopping list
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk shopping list
- 1 tsp. pure lemon extract shopping list
- 1/3 cup buttermilk shopping list
- Confectioners sugar for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt and butter in medium bowl to combine.
- Add flour and stir with a rubber spatula until mixture resembles thick cohesive dough, set aside to cool at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Adjust oven racks to upper middle position and heat the oven to 325*F..
- Cut 16" length parchment paper and fold lengthwise to 7" width.
- Spray 8" square baking dish with non stick cooking spray and fit parchment paper into dish, pushing it into corners and up the sides, allow excess to overhang edges of dish.
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt on low speed to combine.
- With mixer running at low speed add butter one piece at a time, Continue beating until resembles moist crumbs with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add egg, 1 yolk, lemon extract and buttermilk beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy about 1 minute
- Transfer batter to baking dish using rubber spatula to spread batter into even layer.
- Break apart crumb topping into large pea sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter, beginning with the outer edges working to center.
- Bake until crumbs are golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from baking dish by lifting parchment overhang.
- Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooksilverqueen Albany, GA
The Rating5 people
Hi Silver Queen.This looks delicious!! You definitely get my 5!
Thanks and have a super evening!!
Carrie :)hoosiermom68 in Merrillville loved it
hai silverqueen,it realy sounds great.thx fr ur post.angieaugusta in Adelaide loved it
This is almost like my recipe (I don't use lemon) and can say 100% this recipe provides a tender nummy cake! Buttermilk is underused IMHO, nice to see it making the rounds again!!!solanaceae in Manchester loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!