Doughnuts Greek LoukoumadesFrom lor 5 years ago
- 4 teaspoons / 15 g active dry yeast shopping list
- 2 cups / 450 ml lukewarm water (about 110°F/43°C) shopping list
- 4 cups / 510 g all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon / about 5 g salt shopping list
- canola oil, for deep frying shopping list
- 1/3 cup / 65 g granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon / about 2 g ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/3 cup / 110 g honey shopping list
- 1/3 cup / 45 g hazelnuts or almonds, toasted, husked and finely crushed shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk the yeast and 1/2 cup / 110 ml of lukewarm water in a medium bowl to blend.
- Set aside for 5 minutes or until the yeast dissolves.
- Whisk the remaining water into the yeast mixture.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the yeast mixture over the flour mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until you have a well mixed batter.
- The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Cover the bowl of batter with a clean dish cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours or until the batter has risen and doubled in size and small bubbles form.
- Add enough oil to a large, deep frying pan to come halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat to 375°F / 190°C.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in another large bowl and set aside. Stir the batter to deflate it.
- Working in batches and using a tablespoon, spoon the batter one spoonful at a time into the hot oil (you can cook about 8 doughnuts at a time).
- The batter will still be thick and sticky so the tablespoon will not fill neatly but will help as a guide to ensure the proportions are similar in size.
- Fry for about 5 to 8 minutes or until the doughnuts puff and become golden brown, turning them occasionally to ensure they brown evenly. While frying, the batter will form round, puffy, irregularly shaped doughnuts.
- Remove the doughnuts with a meshed or slotted spoon once they are golden and place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Immediately toss the hot doughnuts in the cinnamon-sugar to coat.
- Transfer the coated doughnuts to a warm platter.
- Meanwhile, heat the honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is hot.
- Drizzle the hot honey over the doughnuts.
- Sprinkle with the crushed hazelnuts and serve immediately.
People Who Like This Dish 17
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating12 people
Sounds fantastic!! Love Doughnuts! got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it
Take me home Curtis! I guess I shop in the wrong store. I'll keep dreamin'.
jettjett2whit in Union City loved it
I can taste them now. They sound yummy!!debwin in Toronto loved it