Shortcut Chicken And DumplingsFrom httpmom 7 years ago
- For the Stew: shopping list
- 6-8 chicken thighs with skin shopping list
- 2 Tbs butter shopping list
- 1 Large Onion; chopped shopping list
- 4 Ribs celery; chopped shopping list
- 6 carrots, peeled shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 2 Large Garlic cloves; minced shopping list
- 4 Italian parsley sprigs shopping list
- 2-3 Tsp thyme shopping list
- salt to taste. pepper to taste shopping list
- For the Dumplings: shopping list
- 2 Cups unbleached flour, I use King Arthur shopping list
- 1 Tbs baking powder shopping list
- 1 Tsp salt shopping list
- 1 Cup whole milk shopping list
- 3 Tbs Reserved chicken Fat (or unsalted butter) shopping list
How to make it
- To make stew:
- In a large heavy dutch oven or stock pot, saute the thighs in butter and oil until brown and rendered of fat. Toward the end add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, saute along with the chicken till onions soften.
- Drain the oil and reserve for the dumplings. Discard chicken skins. Return chicken to pot.
- Pour in the stock. Add the bay leaf. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes....skimming off any foam.
- In the meantime make the dumplings.
- At the 30 minute mark, stir in the peas and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Gently drop a heaping tablespoon size of the dumpling mixture over the top of the simmering stew, about 1/4 inch apart, using all the dough. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the dumplings have doubled in size, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve by placing chicken and dumplings on platter or bowl, surrounded by vegetables, and topped with the stew broth.
- To Make Dumplings:
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Microwave the milk and fat in a measuring cup with a spout on high until butter just melts, about 1 minute. Stir the warmed milk mixture into the flour mixture with a spoon until just incorporated...don't be over mixing.