Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy JoesFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 2 pounds ground round shopping list
- 2 large onions, softball sized, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup A-1® steak sauce shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules, beef soup base kind shopping list
- 1 tablespoon oregano shopping list
- Crazy salt, to taste shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper, LOTS shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1 large green pepper, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded shopping list
How to make it
- In large skillet, brown the ground beef well. Add onions and cook until they carmelize. Stir in A-1 and beef broth, season with Crazy Salt, oregano and LOTS of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it is no longer soupy.
- In separate skillet, saute onions, mushrooms, and green pepper in olive oil, season with Crazy Salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In pot, melt butter, stir in cornstarch, add milk and whisk until sauce is thickened nicely. Take off stove and stir in shredded provolone until well blended.
- To serve: pile meat onto crusty rolls, top with mushroom mixture, and top with the beautiful stringy cheese sauce.
- NOTE: The original recipe used flour instead of cornstarch. I changed it for gf purposes. It also didn't call for the sauteed veggies...I just don't happen to think its a cheesesteak without peppers, mushrooms, and onions so I added them. I also cut the A-1 in half - it was too sweet and not beefy enough, so I added beef soup base into the mix. Nice and beefy and a nice ersatz Philly Cheesesteak.
People Who Like This Dish 13
- mark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- auntybea Vernon, Canada
- shakeyslady7 Venetia, PA
- snowcat17 Milwaukee, WI
- spicey571 Greenville, SC
- kellytw29 Palm Coast, FL
- broadzilla Saxonburg, PA
- lasaf St. Paul, MN
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- gadandi Craig, CO
- Plus 3 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating8 people
I love the way you adapted this recipe...especially the use of 'veggies' and a 'home-made' cheese
sauce made with 'provolone'...it has a nice
light smokey taste...!
GREAT RECIPE !!! A"5" ....!
...Thanks....mjcmcook.....moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Mmmm...you just solved my Monday night supper problem AND Tuesday lunch. These just sound perfect. Glad you posted!gadandi in Craig loved it
You have a winner with this one. I agree about the green peppers (and I like mushrooms). I got sent to New Jersey for all most 2 years, down the road from Philadelphia, as such I ate a lot of cheese stakes. It is rough to find a good one in Kansas. T...moremark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it