Papaya Salad Lao StyleFrom watson2167 7 years ago
- 8-12 Thai chillies (bird peppers), each cut into 3-4 segments shopping list
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut each into 2-3 pieces shopping list
- 4 cups julienned peeled unripe papaya - in strips 2-3 inches long and 1/8 inch thick shopping list
- 1 cup cut long beans - 1 1/2-inch-long segments shopping list
- 1 julienned carrot (optional) for color shopping list
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice the thickness of fruit concentrate or lime juice 2-3 to taste shopping list
- 2-3 Tbs. fish sauce, to taste shopping list
- 2-3 Tbs. palm sugar, shopping list
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges; or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts ( optional depend on what type of salad, check picture), if don't like just follow recipes without last ingredients... shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the ingredients as indicated. Make tamarind juice by starting with 1 Tbs. of compressed tamarind in 1/3 cup of warm water. Work the tamarind with your fingers to dissolve the soft fruit; gather up remaining undissolvable pulp, squeeze to extract juice and discard.
- Using a large clay mortar with a wooden pestle, pound the garlic and chillies to a paste. Add the long beans and pound to bruise. Follow with the green papaya and carrot. Stir well with a spoon and pound to bruise the vegetables so that they absorb the heat and flavor of the chillies and garlic.
- Add the tamarind or lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar. Stir and pound a bit more to blend the vegetables with the flavorings and seasonings. Taste and adjust flavors to the desired hot-sour-sweet-and-salty combination. Then add the tomato pieces and if like crab also added , stir and bruise lightly to blend in with the rest of the salad. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with peanuts if desire. Serves 6-8 with assort of lettuce.
The Cookwatson2167 Las Vegas, NV
- Not added to any groups yet!