Lovely Lemon Cake with Fresh Lemon ButtercreamFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 1 yellow cake mix shopping list
- lemon zest, maybe 1 t. or so shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lemon oil, baking type shopping list
- 1/3 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted shopping list
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice, up to 1/4 cup to get desired consistency shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare cake according to package adding zest and lemon oil. Bake in a bundt pan according to package directions & cool.
- For frosting: Mix butter with salt and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add rest of sugar and lemon juice alternately, beating until very smooth and of spreading consistency. (Fills and frosts 2 8" or 9" cake layers.)
- NOTE: I inherited my mother-in-law's square tube pan - I've never seen anything like it. I bake the lemon cake in it, frost the cake all over, sink a shot glass half filled with water into the hole in the center of the cake, and put violets in it in the spring or pansies or nasturtiums in the summer. You could even scatter a few candied violets over the top or press into the sides. Beautiful!
- NOTE 2: Lemon oil is a wonderful fresh flavor to cook with - much fresher tasting than lemon extract. Be sure to use cooking lemon oil. I use Boyjian. They also make orange and lime oil...I use them all.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating6 people
Lemon zest and fresh lemon just say summer! Thanks for posting!morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
Another fantastic post! I love this one!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
This sounds wonderful. Love lemon and thanks for the lemon oil tip.gapeach55 in Covington loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!