Italian Herbed Shrimp Roasted Onions And Potatoes Caramelized Mushrooms Topped With A Shrimp Stock ReductionFrom jencathen 8 years ago
- stock Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 pound large or extra large shrimp, shelled shopping list
- ¼ cup white wine shopping list
- Assorted vegetables, 1 carrot cubed , 1 rib celery cubed, 1/2 onion cubed or (vegetable scraps that you have been saving in your freezer to make stock) shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
- potato And onion Ingredients: shopping list
- 2-3 potatoes cut into ¼ inch slices shopping list
- 2 thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- caramelized mushroom Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 cup each of two or three types of mushrooms, such as shitake, crimini, oyster, etc. shopping list
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup chardonnay or other white wine shopping list
- herbed shrimp Ingredients shopping list
- 1 lb. large shrimp, shelled shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- Assorted herbs such as Italian parsley, basil, rosemary, thyme, chives, etc for coating shrimp shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2-3 tbsp dry sherry shopping list
How to make it
- Before starting anything else, start the shrimp stock. Sauté 1 sliced carrot, 1/2 sliced onion, 1 stalk sliced celery (or use the vegetable scraps you've been keeping in the freezer) until slightly browned.
- Deglaze pan with wine. Add shrimp shells, cover with water. Make sure to put in enough water (about 4 cups) to yield at least 2 cups of liquid after stock is simmered for about half an hour and then strained.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste about halfway through.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to strained stock.
- Continue to simmer strained stock at low heat to reduce to 1 cup or slightly less. Should be slightly syrupy.
- While strained stock is reducing, make the potatos and onions and mushrooms.
- Sauté potatoes and onions in olive oil until browned. Finish in 375 degree oven for twenty-five to thirty minutes.
- Caramelized Mushrooms:
- Use two or three types of mushrooms. (Oysters, shitakes, morels, criminis, etc.)
- Sauté in about 4 T olive oil until oil is mostly absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup chardonnay wine and continue until mushrooms are soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper and a couple of chopped shallots near end.
- Crusted, herbed shrimp:
- Dip shrimp in egg wash (1 raw egg lightly beaten) and season shrimp with a chopped blend of mixed herbs (such as rosemary, basil, oregano, parsley, etc.). Just roll the shrimp in the herbs and the egg wash should hold them on.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Sauté shrimp in 3 T olive oil until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove shrimp. Add 1-2 tablespoons of dry sherry to pan and deglaze.
- Add the reduced stock (you should have about 1 cup left from the reduction) to the shrimp pan now for a couple of minutes so flavors can incorporate, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine mushrooms and potatoes and divide between plates.
- Place shrimp on top of this mixture and cover with reduced stock.
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating4 people
This sounds very sophisticated. I will definitely make this for a special occassion.merlin in San Francisco loved it
Sounds like a 10 to me!floridiangourmet in Hudson loved it