FREEZER MAC AND CHEESEFrom linebb956 6 years ago
- 8 oz dried macaroni noodles shopping list
- 5 tbsp butter shopping list
- 6 tbsp flour shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg(optional) shopping list
- 1 small green or red pepper, sliced (or half of each color) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese shopping list
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs shopping list
- salt (optional) shopping list
- pepper (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cook macaroni noodles according to instructions until al dente. Drain. Melt a small amount of butter and mix with noodles, to prevent them from sticking together. Cover and set aside.
- Melt 5 tbsp butter, add flour and stir over medium heat for about thirty seconds, being careful not to brown. Add milk and whisk until mixture thickens. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer. Heat pepper on stovetop in a separate pan, or microwave for about a minute. Add to milk mixture, then add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Toss mixture with macaroni noodles, and place in a 3 pint casserole dish or disposable foil casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs. Can split into two for smaller families. Allow to cool, cover and freeze.
- Instructions from Freezer:
- Allow to thaw at room temperature for one hour, or all day in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake for 45 minutes. If you split into two, baking time may be reduced.
- I like adding sliced GOOD tomatoes on top to bake.