Golden Northern CornbreadFrom greekgirrrl 8 years ago
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan shopping list
- 1 c (about 5 oz) yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground shopping list
- 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 4 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 salt shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 2/3 c buttermilk shopping list
- 2/3 c milk shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 425 and adjust rack to center position.
- Grease 9-in square pan with butter.
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour. baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
- Push the dry ingredients up the sides of bowl to make a well in the center.
- Crack the eggs into the well and stir lightly with a wooden spoon and then add the buttermilk and the milk.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients quickly until they are almost combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake until the top of the cornbread is golden brown anf lightly cracked and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack for cooling, 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
- Pan can be wrapped in foil and stored on the counter for a day. reheat in a 350 oven for 10-15 minutes.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating10 people
love cornbread thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Well there you go, this is why I like your style cornbread better, I'm really from the north although I've made the south my home. ;0) You got a 5 from me, great post.henrie in Savannah loved it
Yummmmo!!! :)bakermel in Topeka loved it