Persian Love CakeFrom tippystclair 8 years ago
- candied rose petals: shopping list
- 2 large egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- Petals from 2 roses shopping list
- Cake: shopping list
- 1 cup cake flour shopping list
- 14 Tbsp baker's sugar or ultrafine/superfine sugar, divided shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt shopping list
- 3 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 6 Tbsp water shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel shopping list
- 3/4 tsp whole cardamom seeds (removed from about 15 cardamom pods), ground shopping list
- frosting shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided shopping list
- Pinch of saffron threads shopping list
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp rose water or 1 tsp rose essence shopping list
- 2 Tbsp natural unsalted pistachios shopping list
How to make it
- Candied rose petals:
- Whisk egg whites in small bowl until foamy.
- Using a pastry brush, brush rose petals on both sides with egg whites; sprinkle on both sides with sugar.
- Dry on nonstick rack at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line pan bottoms with parchment paper; butter parchment.
- Sift flour, 7 Tbsp baker's sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl.
- Whisk yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and cardamom in small bowl until smooth.
- Add yolk mixture to dry ingredients; whisk until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 7 Tbsp baker's sugar; beat until whites resemble thick marshmallow fluff.
- Fold whites into batter in 3 additions.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until cakes are golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto racks, peel off parchment, and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.)
- Combine 1/2 cup cream and saffron in small saucepan.
- Bring to simmer.
- Remove from heat; let steep 20 minutes.
- Chill until cold.
- Beat remaining 2 cups cream, powdered sugar, and rose water in large bowl until soft peaks form; blend in saffron cream.
- Beat until peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter.
- Spread 1 cup frosting over.
- Top with second cake layer, flat side down.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Chill at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Garnish cake with rose petals and pistachios.
- Adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2005.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cooktippystclair North Hollywood, GB
The Rating8 people
WOW.......looks wonderful.........bet it taste just as good.....well have to try some time......NiCE POST
Grizgrizzlybear in loved it
sounds fabulous!jett2whit in Union City loved it
This is good. I bought rose water for Turkish Delight, and needed something else to use it in. Thanks!morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!