Best Pumpkin FlanFrom annieamie 6 years ago
How to make it
- Warm a 9 x 2 inch deep cake pan in a 200 degree oven.
- Boil several cups of water in a kettle for the bain-marie.
- In a heavy sauce pan heat 1/3 cup sugar over medium heat. Bring the warmed dish out of the oven and set it beside the sugar being cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- When the sugar begins to melt stir with a spoon. Continue to stir until sugar is dissolved and golden brown.
- Quickly pour the sugar into the cake pan and tilt the pan so that the sugar covers the bottom and sides of the pan. The sugar cools within seconds so you must work fast.
- Heating the dish in the oven before hand gives you an extra second or two to spread the sugar.
- In another bowl add the eggs and sugar and mix gently. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well but not frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the caramel coated pan. Place the flan into another pan such as a roasting pan. Put the two pans into the preheated oven and add boiling water an inch or two up the sides of the custard pan.
- Cooking the custard surrounded by the water is called bain-marie. It distributes the heat more evenly.
- Cook the pumpkin flan for 45 minutes in a 325 degree oven.
- Check for doneness by inserting a sharp thin knife into the center of the flan. If it comes out clean it is done.
- Cool and then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Slice the pumpkin flan into wedges and top with the caramel sauce and whipping cream.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating3 people
This sounds excellent. I love pumpkin and creamy deserts . This looks and sounds magnificent. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Oh now were talking i love flans and pumpkin anything .so together this is perfect!!!!!! big 5 thanksminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!