Toffee Apple Cider CakeFrom chiki_minki 8 years ago
- 300 ml (10 floz) Medium or Sweet cider shopping list
- 4-5 eating apples, Coxes are good shopping list
- 200g (4 oz) Unrefined light muscovado sugar shopping list
- 150g (5 oz) butter shopping list
- 110g (4 oz) Unrefined golden caster sugar (superfine granulated, I think!) shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 225g (8 oz) Plain (all purpose) flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a small pan heat the cider until boiling then reduce the heat and simmer gently until reduced by half.
- 2. Remove from the heat and leave until cold.
- 3. Peel and core the apples and cut into thick slices.
- 4. Heat 25g butter and the Light Muscovado sugar in a pan until melted, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Pour on to the base of a 20 cm (8 in) buttered round non stick cake tin (not loose based) lined with non-stick baking paper. Be really really careful not to touch or splash yourself with the caramel, it will give you the worst burn ever.
- 6. Arrange the sliced apples on top of the caramel.
- 7. Cream the rest of the butter and Golden Caster sugar until light and gradually beat in the eggs.
- 8. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in carefully until well mixed.
- 9. Gently stir in the cinnamon and cold cider.
- 10. Spoon over the apples and bake for 25-35 minutes Gas mark 5/190°C/375°F until cooked through.
- 11. Remove from the oven and immediately upturn the cake onto a serving plate. Be careful!
- 12. Serve warm.