Pierogi CasseroleFrom crabhappychick 8 years ago
- 12 oz. pkg. wide egg noodles, cooked shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups melted butter shopping list
- 2 c. shredded cheddar, divided shopping list
- 1 c. drained sauerkraut shopping list
- 6 c. mashed potatoes shopping list
- 1/2 pound kielbassa, cooked and sliced into rounds shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Saute chopped onion in butter, then add sauerkraut; mix well and set aside.
- Combine warm mashed potatoes with 1 c. cheese; set aside. Butter a 9 x 13 glass lasagne dish. Spread a thin layer of onion mixture on bottom. Spread half of the potatoes over the onion mixture and season well. Then do a layer of half the noodles, then 1/2 of the remaining onion mixture. Layer the rest of the potatoes and season well, then noodles, and finally the rest of the onion mixture.
- Finally, evenly place the kielbassa slices over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 c. cheddar. Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating7 people
My bf is half Polish and he will go crazy for this!! Thanks so much!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Nice variation! I'm making this later in the week now! Check out my recipe for Triple Bypass Casserole. It's my take on pierogie casserole! Love your addition of kraut and kielbassa, and cannot wait to try yours!broadzilla in Saxonburg loved it
Great recipe, thanks so much for posting this one, we're going to love it. You have my 5henrie in Savannah loved it